"Oxtail" Stew made with Lamb Bones
3lbs lamb bones
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp curry powder
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
1 tsp dried thyme (or 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves)
1 tbsp hot pepper sauce
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp Wocestershire sauce
3 cups water
1 Can (190z) pinto or lima beans, drain and set aside liquid
1. Season lamb bones with salt, black pepper, 2 tbsp curry powder and garlic.
2. Place sliced onions on top, cover and place in refrigerator overnight or for at least for 2 hours before cooking.
3. While heating oil in heavy saucepan remove onions from top of meat. Add oxtail to the sauce pan and sear to seal in juice.
4. Add 1 cup of water, thyme and onion, mix. Stir in hot pepper sauce, ketchup and worcestershire sauce; cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add remaining curry powder, stir. Add 2 cups of water (enough water to just cover meat); cover and simmer until meat is tender and falling off the bone (about 3-4 hours).
7. Add beans (with half their liquid) to the cooked meat and stir.
8. Raise heat and bring to a rapid boil until gravy thickens, stirring at intervals so that no sticking or burning occurs. Remove from heat. Carefully remove all bones.
Serve with steamed white rice and a mixed green salad